Thursday, May 27, 2010

In Leon, just 300 kms left to go in two weeks!

Leon is a very nice city that we are enjoying. Now, for a bit of an update:




After writing last time, we had just entered the meseta and had several more days in which to travel through it. Since then however, Martin has had food or sun poisoning, we aren´t sure which as many other pilgrims have also had the same. Generally the worst of it was over a span of 24 hours. I am sure he is grateful to be able to get away from the bathrooms! During these two days we walked 6 kms the first day when he was the most sick and then 14 kms the day following. The day before yesterday was a catch-up day and we travelled 31 kms and yesterday was 25 kms. Unfortunately, I had a really rough start to my morning and for the first 6 kms was walking at a very slow pace. I found that after i took my inhaler, for exercise induced asthma (something I had forgotten to take in the morning), not only did my breathing improve and with it my stamina, but, also the pain killers i had taken for my feet seemed to start to work ... who knew that a little bit of oxygen could do that much good!


We decided that it was time for a night´s rest in a hotel ... after 3 weeks, it would be nice to sleep in past 5 a.m. ... and it was. The city of Leon has some beautiful old architecture, which we hope to visit a bit of without over doing it and giving our feet a bit of a rest today.

We have had some wonderful answers to prayer in these past couple of days: just this morning we saw an older German fellow (72), who was so discouraged the last time we had met up with him. He had lost his camera and was returning back 9 kms to the place he had stayed the evening previously. Good news he has found his camera and is now resuming his journey! Another young man from Australia, is now sitting a couple computers down from us just now ... a couple of days ago we met him sitting beside the road with a very sore shoulder and sore feet and struggling. He is doing much better. Another young man from England, that we met weeks ago, only 19 years old and had a terrible blister on his foot and he was barely moving, we told him we would pray for him ... two nights ago we were thrilled to see him in the same albergue where we were staying. His foot had improved immensely and he had made up much distance. There have been many places where we have noticed God busy at work in the lives of others, ourselves and the world around about us.


Each day we talk about what was our most favourite experience from the day previous. It is interesting to note how many things that there are to be grateful for, that it is often difficult to choose just which one is the fav.


We know that we are once again approaching some difficult climbs, in fact the highest point in the entire Camino is going to be coming up about Sunday if the planned distances are accomplished... beginning tomorrow (Fri, 28th)23 km, Sat - 30 km, Sun - 21 km (climbing 400 mtrs), Mon - 26.5 km (600 mtr decent ... this is very challenging on the knees!). Sunday, will also be the day of my graduation from The Centre for Spiritual Formation ... quite the gift! :) Surely, it will add to my education in some form!?

Martin wants to mention that we had donairs for supper last night (with our dear Lithuanian friend MD), and they were so good that we went back to have them again for lunch today! The perigrino meals have been fine, but, they are always quite similar. It was nice to have a change. I am afraid that weight loss has not been part of the trip ... we have eaten more bocadillas (sandwiches) and pastries ... croissants and small cakes than we would every have back home! I guess it is all going to work out in the end as we do require the calories, both carbs and protein for the daily walks.


We are not certain where we will next be able to post; however, will try to do so when the next opportunity presents itself. After the next few days of climbing we will be entering into Galacia, a region that we have been told can be very cold and wet. We will be praying that we remain healty and strong. It is nice to anticipate another change in terrain.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure, eh? Glad to hear that those people are doing better and that Dad has recovered and that your feet are doing well enough to keep going. Good luck on the climb and congrats on your grad. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so very much sweetie. I am missing you guys lots!!! I guess this is understandable, as I am sure that this is the longest I have been away from everyone.

    Yes, tomorrow we start towards the mountains again, after just coming through some smaller valleys today. It was 8 hrs today, with some very brief stops. My feet are extremely tired tonight and I think some of the blisters that I thought were almost gone have now reappeared. You are right it indeed is an adventure. I am quite sure it will be a challenge to top this one. But that´s okay ... these memories will last me a long time. :)

    Thanks also for the note on the grad. I have been thinking of all my cohorts gathering right now at UBC. I am sure it will be a special time today and tomorrow and I will be praying for them.

    Love to everyone!

    Mom xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good to read a detailed story about your travails and accomplishments.

    I have been doing the garden thing--painful too but will be very rewarding when I get it completely planted and the flower garden finished.

    I have the worst of the basic vegetable garden dug and most of the soil amended. I got ten bags each of composted sheep .... and ten bags of black topsoil. The vB's gave me a couple of tomato plants and I planted a whole whack of seeds: purple pole beans and cucumbers. Hope to plant the squash tomorrow.

    The seeds cost so much that I hope the birds don't eat all of them like they did last year. Banquet time for birds. They start as soon as the seeds are in the ground. I was still digging in the same plot and they were digging out the seeds! Rotters. The fact that I am out there digging doesn't diminish their appetite or happiness one bit:)

    I have been coming home after driving Mark vB and his girlfriend home to Glenburnie at Midnight(after his Internet Cafe' type store closes) so that I can garden in the mornings before the heat of the day. It has been sweltering.

    And, then I go out and pick them up about Noon the next day. Tomorrow, after I get back to town, I offered to deive a young man out to Glenhaven Cemetery. He lives on disability and has no means of transportation to get there. I spoke to him on the phone today and he said it has been a long time since he has visited his wife's grave.

    My friend, who has known him for a long time, said his wife died about 6 years ago and he is still in mourning--hasn't dated anyone else and just misses his wife every day. Knowing this, when he brought up the fact that his wife is buried in Glenhaven, I thought, "Since I have the car, it would be a good thing to offer to take him out."

    I could tell he was almost overwhelmed when I offered to take him. Again, this proves that our first thoughts are often the best.

    I hope this is not too much for you to read. Now that my typing has improved to the speed of my talking, I am wont to carry on and on:)

    Please keep posting as often as you can 'cause love to know what you are up to.

    I imagine that you will have been up and down that mountain before you see another computer but I will keep checking to find out how that goes.

    I know what you mean about descents. I find it more painful going down a flight of stairs than climbing up one. And, I have fallen a number of times in my life while going down. I hope you will be very careful--not so easy when you are in pain either. It sounds like your feet are not better, Carolyn, so take it as easy as time will allow. Please.

    I will be thinking of both of you hoping that Martin is fully over his flu-like symptoms and your feet keep going to the end.

    Love you both, and I am glad you spent some time in Leon. Hope you get to have a few more relaxing days before having to come back to your summer life in Victoria. Keep hydrated too. Listen up, I am the oldest sibling:) Aren't you glad I mentioned the meds?

    Take lots of photos. I am expecting you to schedule a couple of hours for the talk/photoshow the next time I see you:)

    Again, I have been sending good vibes whenever I think of both of you out there in the elements testing your mettle. They do say, "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger."

    Love, Matuga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matuga, always great to get your notes! Thanks so much! I will add an update in a couple minutes.

    Yes! I mentioned to Charis on a note earlier on that I am so glad that Auntie Matuga told me to take meds! They are a lifesaver!!!

    I have been thinking so very much of our dear mom. Please give her all kinds of love when you are speaking with her. :)

    Keep well sis, love you bunches!!!! xo

    Carolyn and Martin

    ReplyDelete